Custom Search

Friday, July 4, 2008

Plan B Continued... DVDXpress

If you read my previous posts, then you know that "Sell-Through" is important for a DVD Kiosk, and that selling a product in the original packaging is key for increasing sell-through of your DVD inventory. You also know that Redbox and DVDPlay, aside from not making an offering for individual operators, sell their DVDs in generic slimline cases to save space in the machines.

When DVDXpress popped up on my Google search, I thought I might have been on to something. According to the little demo on their webpage, it looked like they dispensed their DVDs in the original case.

DVDXpress also had an interesting twist that I had not seen anywhere else. For a monthly subscription of 12.99 you could rent as many DVDs as you wanted from their machines on a 1 at a time basis. This I thought was a pretty clever way to develop loyalty, and a residual income. You could also rent DVDs at the regular price on a per night basis like Redbox and DVDPlay offered as well.

By now, you know the drill. I looked all over the webpage and did not find owner/operator information. I called the Sales Department but go a voice mail message. I hung up and call Customer Support so I could get a live person. Hooray! I found a live person, but they let me know that they do not offer the option for an individual to purchase and operate their machines.

So that was strike 3. Thankfully this is not baseball, and 3 strikes does not mean you are out....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently had a bad experience with this service. I rented movies from the Holmdel location at teh A&P. Whenever I did this I received a nice email confirmation stating a fee/1 day. What they fail to include in this email transaction receipt is that (according to customer service) this kiosk requires you to return movies by 7 pm. DVD Express claims this is shown at the machine but from my point of view if you do not have this in the receipt it tends to mislead you and return before the 24 hrs(1 day).
I did not get the idea they are fixing this which for me is a disguised scheme to get you for an extra day fee more often than you would want or until like myself you realise after the fact that there are hidden announcements or conditions that do not match their transactions receipt. This experience was a good bad first impression for me. If you want to stay in the business be consistent. This DVD Express clearly has the technology to make thisgight and not mislead their first customer.

 
Custom Search