Custom Search

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sell-Through? Sounds Important... What is it?

A few posts ago, I blogged about my first redbox experience. One thing that caught my eye then, that I have not yet mentioned, was the "keeper" movies for $7. 7 bucks is a pretty good price for a reasonably new release. I figured out pretty quickly that the very innovative DVD kiosk industry had built in a way to get rid of old inventory, and make a few extra bucks. They could sell off the New Releases that started to rent less frequently, and add copies of the "Newer" New Releases to the machine. Brilliant!

I had this whole thought process before I actually rented my first movie, but when my movie came out of the slot, it was in a little slimline redbox case. I thought to myself, "who would want to buy a movie and keep it in this generic little case". For me, and I think for the majority of DVD purchasers, one of the coolest parts of owning the DVD is having it in the orginal box sitting on the shelf. It just looks WAY cool to have a whole bunch of movies on the shelf. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way, but I have a hunch that I am not in the minority on this one.

This part of the redbox experienced did not thrill me. If I was going to actually purchase this movie to keep, I would want to have the original box. So when I found out that I could not own a redbox machine , I was really hoping that the alternative machines I found would rent/sell in the original DVD Case. In my last post I wrote about DVDPlay, another company that would not sell machines to individual operators, who also dispensed their rentals in little plastic cases.

I knew to have the best chance of recouping the expense of the DVD inventory I was going to have to find a machine that would sell in the original case. With that in mind, I found DVDXpress, and thought I might finally be on the right track...

Related Video...

Just to show how people REALLY take their DVD libraries seriously :)


No comments:

 
Custom Search